Wednesday 3 September 2014

Reviewed: The Little Teapot Cafe, Poole High Street

Last night, my Gran called me to remind me she had an appointment in Poole, and to ask if I wanted to go for lunch. Well, for the life of me, I couldn't think of a place in Poole I knew I'd be able to eat safely. And then, aha! I remembered that The Little Teapot cafe opened fairly recently in Poole High Street, and that they were very aware of gluten free.

Since I do a blog and all, I figured it was my duty (ahem!) to check them out, so I suggested to my Gran that we go there. Luckily, she was thrilled with the suggestion.


I must admit that my first impression was of a very small cafe indeed. I believe an estate agent would call it 'cosy'. But once you step in the door, what seemed small really does feel very warm and friendly. This place would be perfect on a cold winter's day as a place to escape the bitterly cold wind on Poole Quay and settle in with a soothingly hot cup of tea and a slice of cake (a plan in the making!).

I opted for a roasted pepper and goat cheese sandwich, which I was very pleased to find was made using Genius brown bread (my favourite). The goat cheese was creamy and there was enough roasted red pepper to balance it perfectly with chargrilled sweetness.

Then they spoke the magic words...'Are you ready for some cake?' Hmm...let me think about that...YES PLEASE!!!

Ooooh...it was good! A chocolate sponge cake so fudgey and gooey that a small slice is quite enough to last. It was quite dense, in the best possible way, and really did feel like a decadent treat! Although I didn't have a drink, I can't think of a better cake to have with a mug of tea or coffee. I would show you a picture, but I scoffed the lot! Oops!

 My one real issue - I can't really call it a complaint - is that although they make it very clear they can provide gluten free options, you have to ask to find out what exactly those options are because they aren't clearly marked on the menu or anywhere else. They offer a variety of cakes but, likewise, they aren't listed anywhere and they're kept out of the way to prevent cross-contamination.





That issue aside, the food and the service are excellent. As well as a rather tasty-sounding mezze platter, they can make a number of different sandwiches, many of which are suitable for vegetarians as well. They warned me off having a cheese toastie because they currently only have the one panini press, making it unsuitable for coeliacs, showing that their knowledge far surpasses that of anyone else I met.

Honestly, it was a great lunch out and my Gran, though not a coeliac, thoroughly enjoyed her toasted teacake, eulogising about it until we were halfway back to the car! I loved the sandwich and the cake, and it's great to know there is now somewhere in Poole I can eat without any fear of a 'glutening'. Tea and cake all round!

Want to know more about The Little Teapot? Find them here on FB.

No comments:

Post a Comment